Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 59 Need to push fluids


Well it's almost been two months since my surgery and things are still going fairly well. I have been back at MIT for almost two weeks, I haven't been "sick" in a few weeks (knock wood) and I am down at least 52 lbs or so.

My problem now is that I really need to do better with my fluid intake. Since I don't feel thirsty (or hungry for that matter), it's hard for me to remember to sip all day. At the MGH weight center, one of their mantras is to remember to listen to your body...that this surgery has now opened up a line of communication from your body to your brain to let you know when you are full, hungry, etc... However, in the first year or so, this is not entirely true. They encourage us to eat in a normal pattern, whether it's Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, or 5 small meals or so, whatever...they want us to ingest something in the pattern (even if it's just a few bites), regardless of our hunger level. So the same applies to fluid.

I need to achieve 64 ozs of fluid a day. Let's see where I am at on a typical day.

Morning - Instant Breakfast, Milk 10-12 ozs
Lunch - applesauce 4 ozs
Dinner - no drink
In between meals, usually a fruit 2'0 16 ozs.

So that puts me in the 32 ozs area. So I am only taking in about 1/2 my fluid. This probably contributed to my kidney stone incident.

I need to double my fluids. Yuck .

wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Hew Joe, You're doing great, I told you, there would only be half of you the next time we were together. Love you! Aunt Kitty

    ReplyDelete